Thursday, June 6, 2013

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Obviously this is a well-known book, since the phrase "catch 22" has entered the English language.  I didn't know anything about the story, though, before I started the book.  When I started reading it, I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through.  It has a lot of stream of consciousness writing.  It isn't chronological and has some made up words and phrases that were initially very confusing.  After a while, though, I got very involved in the story and didn't want to put the book down.  I would say this is one of the best books I've read.

It tells the story of Captain Yossarian.  He is a bombardier stationed with his squadron on an island in the Mediterranean Sea.  All the members of the squadron are trying to stay sane long enough to go home.  (And finding it challenging!)  The catch-22 of the title refers to the bureaucratic nonsense the military puts its men through.

This is a fairly short book although it is challenging due to its narrative style.  It is definitely worth the time.  Yossarian lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment