Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Native Son by Richard Wright

This is a depressing story, so don't read it if you're looking for a pick-me-up.  It is interesting in its own sad way.

Bigger Thomas is a young black man living in the city.  He feels trapped and powerless and unable to do anything or make his own choices.  He feels like his destiny is pre-decided by those around him and their expectations of violence.  Since he is a young black man, he sees no other choice but crime.  So of course he commits crimes (two really terrible crimes, not like robbing the corner store) and ends up in prison.  There he befriends a white man to his own amazement.  His friendship makes him think that men like him could maybe be reached earlier.

I found this story too long.  It really made me think (especially since I have an adopted black son), although I can't feel as negatively about the situation as Bigger Thomas.  But I was ready for it to be over before it was.  It felt like it dragged on a bit to me.

It isn't really worth the time for straight entertainment, but if you're looking to be more aware of racial tensions and challenges in the United States, it is a unique perspective.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment