Monday, March 18, 2013

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

I enjoyed this book, but it didn't make a very big impression on me.  It tells the story of Janey, a black woman who lived in Florida during the early 1900's.  Her life story is told in three sections, based on her marriages to three very different men.  It's a little depressing.  Janey wants a marriage based on love.  Spolier alert!  Don't read the next two sentences if you want the ending to be a surprise.  She finally finds that in her third marriage, and she is forced to kill the husband she loves when he contracts rabies and attacks her.  She is acquitted of his murder, though, so I guess it isn't an entirely unhappy ending.  It's safe again.  I guess it wasn't a book I could relate to, and I found it terribly sad.  Even the marriage she wanted didn't seem that great to me.  It was interesting, though, largely because it was so foreign to me and my experiences.  It was also a short book and an easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment