Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

I was back and forth with how much I enjoyed this book, but it ended on a positive note.  The title refers to the contrast of weighty burdens and things that are "lighter."  It is a different way of thinking for me.  I am a very optimistic person, and this book is much more fatalistic in its view.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being is mostly the story of a man, Thomas, who loves his wife, Tereza, but is also an incurable womanizer.  His wife is tortured by jealousy and suffers from terrible dreams.  Thomas feels compassionate toward her but can't stop his behavior.  We also read quite a bit about one of Thomas's mistresses, Sabina and her naïve lover.  It takes place against the backdrop of Communist Czechoslovakia, which is pretty interesting.

Obviously this book includes mature themes and isn't appropriate for young readers.  It doesn't go into great detail but involves a lot of frank sexual discussion.

This book is well-written and interesting but a little depressing.  I did like the ending, though.  My favorite part of the book was a discussion about the four different ways people want others to look at them.  This book is worth reading but not one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment