Monday, November 17, 2014

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulk

When I started this book, I very quickly considered quitting.  The first "part" has a few descriptive sex scenes.  Since that isn't something I enjoy reading, I skipped them and wondered if I really wanted to finish the book.  I was sure, however, that it was supposed to be a book about World War I.  Since the war hadn't appeared, I persevered.  And I was rewarded when I reached part 2!  There were no more sex scenes in the book, and the war dominated the story.

Stephen Wraysford is a young man who visits France about ten years before the war to inspect factories.  He then returns to France during the war and is involved in a great deal of fighting at the front for many years.  There are also a couple brief parts in the book that deal with his descendant.  I have read war books before, but not very many dealing with the first world war.  I learned interesting things and realized what I knew more fully (like the miners who dug tunnels through the war to blow mines under the enemy and the huge loss of life due to poor information and decisions).  I felt much more of a connection to that time and a greater appreciation for the experience of the men who fought.

This is definitely not a book for young readers.  In addition to the earlier mentioned sex, the war scenes are very violent and gory.  (They are very realistic.)  It can also be a bit disgusting, since the conditions at the front are very unsanitary.  This book is worth the time, in spite of the first part, which I didn't enjoy.  Just man up and get past it, and the rest of the book is very enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment