Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis

I never read this book as a child because I watched the PBS TV show and hated it.  I was not a fantasy fan.  With the books that are available for pre-teens today, that is almost an impossibility.  My oldest son loves fantasy and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, so my exposure to the genre has been greatly increased and I no longer dislike it so much.  I still wouldn't have read this book, except it appears on the "Big Read."  It was really quite good, even if fantasy isn't your favorite.  It is also a super easy read.  I am a fast reader, but I finished it in about two hours.

This book tells the story of four siblings who are sent to the country during the London blitz to keep them safe.  They stay in a large house with the Professor.  While exploring the discover a spare room with a large wardrobe.  The youngest hides in the wardrobe and finds it to be the door to a magical land called Narnia.  The older kids eventually come with her, too, and they all have many adventures in Narnia.  There are magical creatures like fauns and centaurs as well as a great many talking animals.  Even the villain is part giantess.  It is definitely fantasy.

This book is safe for all readers.  There is violence, but it isn't gory, and those who are killed are all miraculously brought back to life.  It's very clean and even teaches without being preachy.  It is a quick read and easily worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment