Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Main Street by Sinclair Lewis

This book got very long to me.  I enjoyed it and read steadily for a bit more than the first half, but then I was ready for it to be done.  It was just too long for what it was.  It tells the story of an up-and-coming young lady who marries a doctor from a small town.  They move to the small town, which is really one of the main characters in the book, and then it follows their lives there as she tries to improve the town and adjust to the man her husband is in his small town.  (I originally come from a small town, and I don't think they're as ignorant and lacking in intellectual stimulation as this town seems to be.)  I would have really liked it if it had been condensed.  Even coming back to it after a break, I was tired of the story.  Not worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment