Monday, January 14, 2013

The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens

The Mystery of Edwin Drood  by Charles Dickens

This book is a bit tricky to review because there are so many different versions of it out there.  Dickens wasn't alive to finish it, so all sorts of people have finished it in all sorts of ways.  The version I read this time was surprisingly well done, although it was still pretty apparent when Dickens' writing stopped and the ghost writer started.  I read a version in the past that wasn't finished well at all; the author wasn't very good at copying Dickens' style.  Unfortunately, I can't find who finished the decent version I read.  In general, I suggest looking for novels where Edwin Drood stays dead and isn't miraculously still alive at the end.  I like Dickens, so I enjoyed this book, but it is his typical style with lots of description and detail.  Worth the time, but be wary of how it was finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment