Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Dune by Frank Herbert

An epic science fiction tale!  It's been a while since I read this book, and I'm thinking I really ought to read it again because it was so good.  If you didn't love the movie, don't worry about it.  The book is (as usual) much better and the special effects are easier to envision and believe in your imagination than on the big screen.  Dune  tells the story of Paul, a young man whose family runs a desert planet where "spice," the most valuable resource there is, is harvested.  Paul becomes involved with the natives of the planet as he learns more about spice and his role in the universe.  This is easily one of the best books I've read in the science fiction genre.  It is very entertaining in a non-intellectual way.  There are also a bunch of sequels available, but I haven't read any of them.  It is a fairly long book, but it is still worth the time it takes to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment