Thursday, February 28, 2013

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

I know this is a classic, but I really didn't like it.  It is sooo long and not very interesting.  My son was struggling to read it, so I read it with him.  We both managed to finish it, but I'm sure neither of us will be reading it again!  The particular copy I was reading had been written in at each chapter heading:  a yes or no according to whether the chapter pertained directly to the story or not.  When I was complaining about the book, my husband suggested I skip the chapters that said "no."  Unfortunately, I found the chapters that had no direct link to the story to be some of the most interesting chapters in the book!  The famous white whale in the story doesn't even appear until the very end.  I wouldn't recommend reading this book for entertainment purposes.  If you're required to read it, I'm very sorry, and I suggest you make the best of it and enjoy the extraneous chapters!  A very long read not worth the time it takes to slog through it!

No comments:

Post a Comment