Friday, February 22, 2013

Heartwood by James Lee Burke

This book tells of Billy Bob Holland, a small-town lawyer and former Texas Ranger, and his experience with the big man in their small pond, Earl.  His relationship with Earl is complicated by the fact that Earl married his high school love, Peggy Jean.  Billy Bob is a new character to me in Burke's books, but he shares some common traits with Burke's other main characters.  Holland is haunted by his past.  He has a very violent streak.  He has a very strict sense of honor.  As with Burke's other main characters, these traits make Holland somewhat incomprehensible to me, but I still find him admirable.  I may not understand his particular brand of honor, but I still admire how he sticks to it!  The story is very involved, and I occasionally found myself having to double check who a particular character was.  I still really enjoyed this book, although it isn't Burke's best.  If you are new to Burke, read a Dave Robicheaux novel first to decide if you like his distinct style.  If you enjoy Burke's book, this is another great read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment