Sunday, August 4, 2013

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

I watched this movie (the edited version) some years ago and thought I should read the book, but I never got around to it until I had it on the Big Read.  Unusually I prefer the movie to the book.  All of the really funny stuff in the book is also in the movie, and some of the great stuff from the movie (the fight between Daniel and Mark, the line "I like you just the way you are") aren't in the book at all!  One very surprising thing to me--Bridget Jones is not fat!  She is obsessed with her weight and diets constantly and yo-yos up and down between 117 and 133 spending most of her time around 125, but unless she's extremely short, she is only the tiniest bit chubby at the peak and isn't usually heavy at all.

This book tells the story of Bridget Jones, a 30-something single living in London.  She is somewhat neurotic and scatterbrained and also very lovable.  She has a good set of friends, a quirky family, and a traumatic love life.  Fielding has a fun style and the whole story is very amusing.

Bridget Jones contains a lot of language, particularly the use of the f-word.  I know that's more common in Great Britain, but my puritanic American soul finds it somewhat shocking.  There is also a lot of frank discussion about sex.

It is an easy read and worth the time, although I would recommend spending the time watching the movie (the edited version) instead.  It is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment