Wednesday, August 7, 2013

In Our Time by Ernest Hemingway

This is billed as a short story collection, but I think it is more like a series of vignettes.  It is interesting how they make a cohesive whole as they are mostly disjointed.  There are characters who reappear, and it is interesting to see them again.  The brief descriptions at the beginning of each chapter are my least favorite.

There is some violence in this book, particularly gory descriptions of bull fights at the beginning of many of the chapters.  That isn't my style and isn't something I would want my boys to read.

I like Hemingway's concise writing and short declarative style, which is very ably demonstrated in this collection.  It is a very short easy read that can be squeezed in here and there, which is handy.  It is easily worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment