Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Trader by Charles de Lint

I tend to always have the same problem with de Lint's book.  I enjoy the set-up and most of the story.  Then at the end there is usually something too fantastic for me that I wish wasn't there that almost ruins the book for me.  De Lint is an excellent writer, though, so I don't hate them.  I just wish they had different endings!

Trader is the story of Max Trader who wakes up one morning in the body of Johnny Devlin, a low-life loser who was wishing he could be someone else.  Trader finds himself evicted with no job and no money starting all over with a mind full of confusion and emotional upheaval, especially depression, impatience, and a bad temper that have all been "left behind" by Devlin.  He wants his old life back but doesn't no how to get it.

This book is very clean and appropriate.  Someone does die a violent death in it.

Trader is worth the time in spite of its wacky unbelievable ending sequence.  (I know, the whole concept is unbelievable; it is a fantasy book after all.  But it feels believable until the spirit world gets involved.)

No comments:

Post a Comment