Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Passage to India by E. M. Forster

This was a strange but interesting book.  It made me glad I was never in India during the British reign.  The "Anglo Indians" seem to behave badly as a matter of course, and the Indians in the story behave in incomprehensible ways, at least to my mind.  It tells the story of a young lady who goes to India with Mrs. Moore whose son works in the government there.  Miss Quested is going to see if she wants to marry the son.  Dr. Aziz becomes involved with the women through a chance meeting with Mrs. Moore in a mosque.  They take an excursion to some caves for a picnic.  Miss Quested accuses the doctor of attempting to assault her in the cave.  Fielding, an Englishman, supports Dr. Aziz against his own race.  It is unclear what happened to Miss Quested, although her subsequent behavior would seem to indicate it could have been an hysterical reaction.

I enjoyed the first part of the story, although it wasn't very exciting.  Then the cave episode occurs, and I didn't really like it anymore.  I didn't like that most of the characters seem to behave badly.  Miss Quested falsely accuses Dr. Aziz, the British leaders try to railroad Dr. Aziz in his trial.  Dr. Aziz doesn't really behave badly, but he is mercurial and seems to lie as a matter of course without considering it to be untruthful.  Fielding is really the only one who behaves admirably in a consistent manner.  The very end was also disappointing when Fielding and Aziz decide they can't be friends until the British leave India and India becomes a sovereign nation. 

I did like seeing India through a different perspective.  I found it well-written and interesting even when I didn't like the actual story line.  It took me a long time to read because it didn't hold my attention, and I didn't read it very often.  It is still worth the time but don't plan to zip through it.  It is easier if you read it a little bit at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment