Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Homicide for the Holidays by Jane Rubino, Kathleen Anne Barrett, & Fred Hunter

This book is a collection with a story by each of the three authors.  My assumption when I started Fruitcake by Jane Rubino was that they were three novellas relatively equal in length.  I kept thinking, "this is way too much background info. and extraneous information for a novella!"  The first story ended up being a full length novel (317 pages), so I suppose all there was room for all that information.  I don't know if it's because I was expecting something different and disliked the beginning, but I never really got into the story and loved it.  It felt unreal and a little pointless.  I had a hard time liking the main character, Cat, a 40-something widow with two kids who works as a freelance journalist and comes from a family of cops.  She seemed over-sensitive, obsessed with quoting authors and correcting grammar, and I just couldn't relate to her. 

The second story in the book, Milwaukee Winters Can be Murder, is by Kathleen Anne Barrett and is a quick, amusing read.  It's predictable and you'll know the murderer pretty early, but I didn't mind that in this case.  I am actually interested to read a novel featuring this debut character. 

A Perfect Time for Murder is a short story by Fred Hunter and ends the collection.  I didn't love it, but it was all right.  It was immediately clear where the story was going, which was a little disappointing.  I like a clever twist in my short stories (That's why O'Henry is the master of the genre!), and this story didn't have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment