Monday, April 15, 2013

Emma by Jane Austen

Since I completely love Jane Austen, I of course love this book as well.  It is a Regency-era novel that tells the story of Emma Woodhouse, a wealthy socialite who likes to interfere in the lives of those around her.  She fancies herself a matchmaker after the marriage of her governess to a neighbor.  Her matchmaking skills are very lacking and comedy ensues.  Eventually everything ends up happy, which I generally prefer.  Emma isn't the most likeable of Austen's heroines, but she does gain the readers' sympathy, and she makes changes and progress as most of Austen's main characters do.  I always enjoy Austen's clever and witty dialogue and the amusing foibles of the characters who people her books.  Emma is written in the formal, old-fashioned manner of Regency novels, which I enjoy, but I know some people don't.  Emma is definitely worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment